MS End-of-Year Activities
Posted 05/18/2012 09:29AM
Please help us to be well-prepared for these important days and events:
- Our Closing Ceremony for Middle School is scheduled for Thursday, June 7, 8:30-10:00. All students are expected to attend this ceremony in the Sloan Theatre. The primary focus of the Closing Ceremony is the 8th grade class. Sixth and 7th graders will have assigned seating in special sections of the Sloan Theatre. Eighth graders will be seated on stage. We hope that all 8th grade families will attend. The lower, middle section of seats in Sloan will be reserved for 8th grade families. A reception with refreshments will follow this Ceremony for 8th graders and their families in the Kaplan Lobby. Sixth and 7th grade parents are not expected to attend this Ceremony, but are certainly welcome; there should be plenty of extra seats in the balcony. Sixth and 7th grade students will be dismissed to begin their summer vacations at 10:00. Those riding GDS buses will depart at 10:15.
- The 6th and 7th grade class pages will include details about end-of-year field trips on May 21 (Mock Trial Club students), May 25 (6th grade bowling), June 1 (6th grade to Civil Rights Museum), June 5 (6th grade to Headacres Farm), May 25 (7th grade to Grasshoppers game), and June 4 (7th grade to Bill and Cheryl Love’s home to learn about carnivorous plants). Also, important sex education lessons are scheduled for 6th graders, May 29-June 1.
- Our 6th and 7th grade students will complete their regular school schedule on Tuesday, June 5, at 3:05.
- Our 8th graders will be dismissed at 1:00 on Tuesday, June 5, following a morning of rehearsing for the Closing Ceremony and the distribution of the GDS Yearbook.
- Wednesday, June 6, is a day for Middle School teachers to prepare for end of year reports and the Closing Ceremony. Students do not attend school on June 6.
We hope that you will be in touch with us about any questions that you have or hear from your children concerning these last weeks and days of school. There will be further communications soon from us about the required summer reading and how to access this material.