Chromebooks & Laptops
Middle School Chromebooks
Fifth grade students receive their Chromebooks at the beginning of the academic year. These Chromebooks are leased to the students for four years. There is a tech fee of $75 and an annual Chromebook lease fee of $250 for these devices. The Chromebooks stay at school for the first portion of the year and during breaks.
Sixth grade students receive their Chromebooks at the beginning of the academic year. These Chromebooks are leased to the students for three years. There is a tech fee of $75 and an annual Chromebook lease fee of $250 for these devices.
New seventh and eighth grade students are provided with their leased Chromebooks/laptops during the first week of school.
Each summer, middle school Chromebooks and laptops are collected for upgrades and maintenance. The devices are redistributed at the beginning of the academic year.
Upper School Laptops
Greensboro Day School Upper School has a BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) policy. Please see below for additional details and minimum specifications.
Students should bring their laptops and power cords on the first day of school in working order.
MINIMUM SPECIFICATIONS FOR BYOD LAPTOPS
- Laptop computer (not a tablet)
- Must be able to run all features of the Google Chrome web browser
- Battery life of at least four hours
- Processor: Intel Core i5 gen 11, AMD Ryzen 5000 Series, M1
- Memory (RAM): 8 GB minimum
- Operating Systems:
- Microsoft Windows 11
- MacOS Monterey or newer
- Hard Disk Drive: 128 GB or greater SSD preferred
- Display: 12 inches or larger
- 1920 x 1080 resolution or better
- HDMI output or adapter/dongle
- Audio: Built-in audio capabilities
- Camera: webcam
- Communication devices:
- Wireless (802.11a/b/g/n/ac/ax compliant)
- Bluetooth 4.2 /5.0
- Expansion Ports: Two USB 3.0 and/or USB-C
- Anti-virus anti-malware Software: none needed. Windows and MacOS include protection
- Protective sleeve or case for the laptop
- Power adapter to keep at school
Upper School Laptop FAQs
- Does my child have to take a laptop to school every day?
- Do I have to buy a new device or can my child use one that we already own?
- What’s the best laptop?
- Other than the minimum specifications, what else should I consider when purchasing a laptop?
- What happens if my child’s laptop breaks?
- What does my child do when we have to send their laptop to be repaired?
- Do we need to purchase Microsoft Office?
- Will the BYOD minimum specification change?