Middle School is a time of great change - physically, social-emotionally, and intellectually. Fifth Grade Forward is a Middle School program for supporting student well-being and academic success through executive functioning, self-advocacy, mindfulness, and neuroscience education
Learning how to learn is absent from most traditional middle school programs. Greensboro Day School’s unique fifth-grade program launches students forward, with the skills and strategies necessary for success in middle school and beyond. Those skills and strategies include:
- Executive Functioning: developing skills to help with attention, organization, planning, self-control, etc.
- Neuroscience: learning about brain development and its impact on intellectual growth and maturity
- Character Development: understanding empathy, citizenship, respect, responsibility and identity formation
- Physical Well-being: discerning how exercise and diet influence mind and body
- Mindfulness: focussing attention on experiences, feelings and thoughts to reduce stress and anxiety and increase mental well-being
- Digital Well-being: being a responsible citizen in our digital world